Monday 16 July 2007

Anti-hamster Rating


Books that earn an anti-hamster... I hope none do. Here is a non-exhaustive list of reasons why I would give one of these:

  • Book contains offensive stereotype characters, or celebrates/condones/pushes prejudice. I'm not taking about satire, or dark humour, or a healthy distrust of the PC lobby here.
  • Book is not for YAs, it is impossible to conceive it having a crossover appeal to YAs. In fact, book has been submitted spam fashion with author's brain not engaged. (This is the only way I can think of at the moment that an anti-hamster could be earned by an author rather than his/her book).
  • Book is not suitable for stated target audience, for reasons of content, style etc.
  • I would actively recommend that almost everyone not buy this book.

If I give a book an anti-hamster, I will explain why.

No comments: