Sunday 15 July 2007

Book Categories

These may change as this project progresses. I'll tag the review posts with one or more of the following categories:

The first kind of category will give a bracket for publication date of the book...

  • New and shiny! Books that have been out less than six months when reviewed. Submit these to "spaceysunday at gmail dot com" without the spaces and quotes.

  • Post 2000 Books published more than 6 months before I reviewed them, and after the year 2000. Submissions from self-published and indie authors open at the above email.

  • Old school Books I read when I aged ten to eighteen. First published before 2000.

  • Classic Books published pre 1980, which may or may not be out of print
Category 2 will give info about the type of publisher.

  • Mainstream Books from the big commercial publishers: Bloomsbury, Random House, Penguin Putnam etc

  • Self pub Books produced using POD technology, for example by AuthorHouse or Lulu.com

  • Indie Books from small independent publishers

  • Ebook Books only available electronically, from an ebook publisher, on a website or blog etc
Category 3 will involve target audience age: since I'm 25 and still reading picture books, I don't really believe in the upper cut-off points, of course.:-) Also included will be tags about what kind of readers might find this book interesting.

  • Kids Books suitable for aged 10 to 12. If I'm underestimating anyone younger than ten, yell at me.:-)

  • Teens Books for age 12 to 15

  • Mature Books for age 15 plus. May have graphic realistic violence, and/or frank discussion of sexuality/drug-use

  • Gay/lesbian/trans Of particular interest to queer readers, or readers researching these issues

  • Aspie Of particular interest to people with Asperger's Syndrome, or readers researching these issues
I can see I'm going to want more. I'll invent them as I need them, or as you suggest them.

Now, genres... I'm going to keep this as simple as possible, at least for the moment. Big umbrellas here.

  • Non fiction/Memoir Does exactly what it says on the tin...
  • Specfic Scifi, fantasy, horror, urban fantasy, paranormal, time-travel romance, magic realism... if it's not proved to be real, it goes here.
  • Real life No dragons, spaceships, cities on wheels, psionics, time machines... just good old characters, conflict, plot etc
Hrmm, but which category would 'historical' go in? Would it need its own tag? I'm going to have to think about that...

Country of origin will also be relevant, although with the internet's distribution potential increasing and improving all the time, I hope people will read more books from abroad as well as their home countries. I'm a Brit based in the UK, so I hope to be reviewing some new books published here, as well as from the USA and other countries. Note to Brit and Australian authors: want to be reviewed by someone who understands your idioms, grammar, slang etc?;) But don't worry, Americans and Canadians, I have writer friends from both countries so I promise not to get (too) confused. Your review will be in UK spelling/grammar/punctuation though.:-P

None of these categories are set in stone. Comments for improvements welcome. Suggestions from authors and readers about genre/target audience/theme will be taken into account when categorising books. If you have a new idea for a tag, holler.:-)

No comments: