Monday 16 July 2007

Technical Ratings

Technical ratings are for self-published books, unless stated otherwise in a particular review. The reason for this is that anyone can publish a book, for very little cost, or even for free, and because of this editing and general writing standards vary enormously. I have read some excellent self-published books, which is a good part of the reason I'm reviewing them here, but I've also read some with formatting and or spelling/punctuation/grammar errors, and/or minor to serious style/word choice problems. If more people are to read self-published books, as I hope you will - otherwise I wouldn't review them!:-) - they need to know what level of quality they're spending their money on. The most common reason people give me for avoiding self and subsidy/vanity published fiction is quality of writing/editing/formatting, which is why I'll be rating these aspects of books I review as well as story/characters and so on in the Reader Ratings.

Here are the technical ratings:
  • Five hamsters: Pro. The occasional mistake slipped under the copyeditor's radar, but I had to really concentrate to spot one.
  • Four hamsters: I winced occasionally over grammar/punctuation/word choice, but it was occasional, and I got over it pretty quickly. Minor issues that might not register with the non-writing reader, but a writer/editor/literary agent would probably pick up on.
  • Three hamsters: The book has been carefully edited; nevertheless, I have one or two technical issues with this book that distracted me from the story in some places. Still, not all readers would notice, and the writing is strong for the most part. I've got my red pen out, but only in my mind...
  • Two hamsters: Most readers would find something off here. Although the story might not be confusing in itself, reading it is a confusing experience for technical reasons. If I'm reading a hard copy of this, I've got my red pen out, and I'm using it.:-)
  • One hamster: Serious technical issues, and possibly serious issues with formatting as well. Don't make me come over there!


No comments: